Any hockey fan knows who Tim Thomas is. He is perhaps the premier goalie in the National Hockey League (and it hurts being from Pittsburgh and saying that). He has been described as “unorthodox” in his style, but he is the current Stanley Cup champion goalie of the Boston Bruins. Part of the celebration of June’s Stanley Cup Victory is for the winning team to make a visit to the White House. I am sure that some Bruin handed Obama a Boston Bruin sweater.
Conspicuously absent from the ceremony was Tim Thomas. It what is being called a snub, Thomas declined the invitation releasing a statement that;
“I believe the federal government has grown out of control, threatening the rights, liberties, and property of the people…[his decision] was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country.”
A couple of predictions:
- Mr. Thomas has a future in politics
- Mr. Thomas will experience IRS audits
- Mr. Thomas who shares a hometown with Flint native Michael Moore will not be invited to Mr. Moore’s huge mansion for dinner
- Mr. Thomas will endure endless critiques about his play, his life, his beard, his goalie mask, etc.
- Mr. Thomas, a Boston goalie, is about to experience Chicago politics.
- Mr. Thomas at this point would out poll Romney, Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum for the Republican nomination.
- Mr. Thomas will soon sport a “Don’t Tread On Me” hockey mask…oh wait he ALREADY DOES!
Sports pundits are criticizine Thomas for his stance; they think politics and sports should not mix and generally I would agree with that. Does anyone really think Barry “basketball jones” Obama really gives a hoot about hockey or hockey players? Most of those guy probably aren’t even U.S. citizens, but the voters in New England are. This is more about politics than sports for Obama. Kudos to Tim Thomas.
Now I just cannot hate the Boston Bruins as much.