Daisy Luther wrote this great article (linked here) listing 25 things we did as kids that would get someone arrested today. I have list a few here that were my favorite and that I did (the statute of limitations has been reached). Take the time to reminisce and mostly to realize how simply insane our world has become.
- Leaving the house after breakfast and not returning until the streetlights came on, at which point, you raced home, ASAP so you didn’t get in trouble. [We actually could see a very large ALCOA clock from our neighborhood and never could claim we didn’t know what time it was. My mother always told me what time dinner was and if I wasn’t home by then I’d be on my own. I often chose to play and started to learn to cook.]
- Eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the school cafeteria. [Mmmm…PB&J sandwiches with tomato soup in the school cafeteria. I still like that.]
- Sledding without enough protective equipment to play a game in the NFL. [I am not sure to this day how one of us didn’t die.]
- Writing lines for being a jerk at school, either on the board or on paper. [until your hands cramped and then getting in trouble back at home for the same thing.]
- Playing “dangerous” games like dodgeball, kickball, tag, whiffle ball, and red rover. [There almost always was some minor injury and we even played these games…wait for it…AT SCHOOL! We actually played a game that involved TV trivia and a belt where the person who answered correctly got the belt and chased the other to a “base” where you were safe. If you were slow you got hit…and we loved it. We played with kids 5-6 years older than us and got to know them and how to be more mature in the process]