Many may remember Lara Logan’s ordeal during Egypt’s Arab Spring. She was reporting on the uprising (supported by the Obama Administration) when she was attacked and raped multiple times. I have to admit to knowing very little about her politics or her professional work. Ms. Logan recently did a piece for CBS and 60 Minutes of all news outlets on terrorism. Her findings shatter the Obama foreign policy of apology and appeasement [my words not hers]. The following are some quotes from a recent speech on terrorism followed by a video of the speech. It is worth watching and while scary it is refreshing to see a reporter speaking truth rather than talking points.
Posts Tagged ‘taliban’
In “Parse-imony” I break down current news stories with my pithy, running commentary…
First the headline:
KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan President Hamid Karzai, angered by an airstrike that Afghan officials said killed 14 civilians during the weekend, demanded on Tuesday that the U.S.-led coalition halt aerial strikes on Afghan houses and threatened to take unspecified actions if the coalition doesn’t comply. [when one doesn’t possess a “big stick” or any stick for that matter it is best to leave out the specifics.]
Common knowledge about Afghanistan and Afghans is generally about how rough a country it is; how inhospitable both the landscape and the residents can be. It is hard for those of us in the west to imagine a world of dominated by warlords, tribes, and a culture that seems stuck in the first century. Brad Thor takes us for a brief peek into their lives and gives us a glimpse of what they face. I get the sense that even though this is a novel, Thor presents an accurate depiction of the troubled country and the battles our military endure.
At the risk of having my head removed from my body I have a few thoughts on the GSM (Ground Zero Mosque) controversy:
- I don’t see how Americans can look for legal means to stop the construction of the GZM. If we are a nation of laws and the mosque meets the standards and rules then it should not be prevented.
- I don’t see how Muslims who claim to be tolerant would in their wildest dreams would consider putting a mosque anywhere near the site of America’s greatest terrorist attack and carried out by Muslims.
I walked into our living room a few nights ago and my daughter was watching Miracle which is the Hollywood version of the United States’ hockey team winning the Olympic Gold Medal at the 1980 games in Lake Placid, New York. I had stuff to do, but I made the mistake of sitting down and got hooked. I had seen the movie before and remembered the actual event (I even think I had saved the Sports Illustrated magazine that came out after the win).
- ...Therefore I Am(11)
- Blinded Us With Science(4)
- Book Reviews(775)
- Caption This(4)
- Cookie Logic(13)
- Economics In Many Lessons(10)
- Everyone Should Know(272)
- Framing The Dialogue(199)
- Framing The Dictionary(32)
- Headline Humor(10)
- Lighter Side(125)
- Money Speaks(96)
- Multiple Choice Journalism(4)
- Net Wisdom(43)
- News Briefs(38)
- Only To Better Express Myself(6)
- Page 6(5)
- Post Cards(1)
- Random Thoughts(45)
- Riddle Me This(1)
- Separated At Birth(29)
- Signs, Signs Everywhere A Sign(4)
- Stop The Insanity(11)
- The Leek(7)
- Thousand Words(22)
- Travel Treasures and Travails(13)
- True American Heroes(35)