This is the second year in a row that my wife convinced me to go somewhere that I really didn’t want to go and it again involved the group Train. This time instead of the opening act for John Mayer, Train played after a Pittsburgh Pirate home game against the San Diego Padres. The Pirates had been fairly hot and recently even had first place in the division. I have never really been a big baseball fan, but I do enjoy going to the ballpark. I should say used to as it’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a game. It may stem, at least partially, from the fact that I had a brief stint as one of poor souls who cleaned up after ball games. I was in high school and I think I lasted two or three home stands. If I close my eyes I can still conjure up the odor of stale beer, peanut shells, and damp popcorn. Brrrrrrrr.
Posts Tagged ‘mlb’
My career as a newspaper delivery person has been fairly rewarding even though it is a tough job. In a typical year I probably accurately deliver about half of my papers. So for 2000 deliveries per week I screw up around a thousand. Last year was a bad one for me and my accuracy as I only delivered 200 correctly. I don’t always deliver to the wrong house, sometimes I am just late or my toss misses and the paper ends up in the gutter or in the neighbor’s yard. I count those as “misses.”
So what is “MLC” you ask. It is Major League Communism and it has been in existence here in Pittsburgh for many years. Major League Baseball has implemented a mini-communist experiment that would make Karl Marx proud “to each according to his needs and from each according to his ability” or as MLB calls it, revenue sharing. This seems like a fair thing that the “richer” clubs pay more to support the “poor” clubs. Maybe we should call this “Sports Justice.”
I am going to make several predictions about news coverage of President Obama’s appearance at MLB’s All Star Game taking into account the mainstream media’s Slobbering Love Affair with the this administration.
Here are my predictions:
- Chris Matthews will feel another thrill, but not up his “leg” this time.
- Keith Olberman will name Dick Cheney the worst man on earth.
- The Washingtonian magazine will feature an topless Obama on their cover…again.
- The Associated Press will run an article about how active and “in shape” Obama is.
- The Huffington Post will get a quote from the catcher saying “how hard the throw was.”
- ...Therefore I Am(11)
- Blinded Us With Science(5)
- Book Reviews(798)
- Caption This(4)
- Cookie Logic(13)
- Economics In Many Lessons(10)
- Everyone Should Know(272)
- Framing The Dialogue(199)
- Framing The Dictionary(32)
- Headline Humor(10)
- Lighter Side(125)
- Money Speaks(96)
- Multiple Choice Journalism(4)
- Net Wisdom(43)
- News Briefs(38)
- Only To Better Express Myself(6)
- Page 6(5)
- Post Cards(1)
- Random Thoughts(45)
- Riddle Me This(1)
- Separated At Birth(29)
- Signs, Signs Everywhere A Sign(4)
- Stop The Insanity(11)
- The Leek(7)
- Thousand Words(22)
- Travel Treasures and Travails(13)
- True American Heroes(36)