I am soooo glad that my youngest child will be a senior in high school next year and getting out of the public school system. We chose to live in a community primarily based on the quality of the school district even though the property taxes are rather high. I wouldn’t characterize it as a conservative area as the population is probably 50/50 split Republican to Democrat, but most of us have traditional values. I am glad about getting out of public schools as there is a sustained push from the left to “consolidate” school districts along county lines which would lump our suburban district in with other, low performing, high cost urban districts. The folks who screwed up the inner city schools will finally be able to ruin the rest of the schools.
I was listening to Quinn & Rose this morning and Jim was talking about an initiative in California (where else) where Senate Bill 48 is working its way through the legislative process. The FAIR Education Act (Fair, Accurate, Inclusive, and Respectful) proports to:
- Require instruction in social sciences to also include a study of the role and contributions of Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, European Americans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans, and other ethnic and cultural groups.
- This bill would revise the list of characteristics included in these provisions to include race or ethnicity, gender, religion, disability, nationality, and sexual orientation, or other characteristic listed as specified.
- This bill would revise the list of culturally and racially diverse groups to also include Pacific Islanders, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans, and other ethnic and cultural groups.
- With particular emphasis on portraying the role of these groups in contemporary society [particular emphasis added]
- It is the intent of the Legislature that alternative and charter schools take notice of the provisions of this act…in any aspect of the operation of alternative and charter schools.
I do think the key phrase is “particular emphasis” and that the FAIR Education Act (Farce, Androgynous, Intrusive, Ridiculous) will not only apply to “alternative and charter schools” which should be interpreted as faith-based schools. They’ll no longer be able to teach their religious beliefs about homosexuality, etc. If you think that home schooling is an option to shield your child from the exposure to sexual subjects at an early age, forget about it. Most home school students will have to follow the curriculum of their home district and will have to pass a standardized test. Additionally California, as one of the largest textbook customers, has a great deal of influence on the content of textbooks that are available to schools in other states.
More locally, a mother complained to her school district about a pamphlet handed out to her 11 year old son as part of puberty education claiming that, “her son was upset by the sections on erections, ejaculations and wet dreams. The school nurse gave the pamphlet to the students two weeks ago.” So we now have to teach this stuff to fifth or sixth graders? When our children were young, we had “the talk” with them rather than the school nurse. The saddest part was that the school had been handing out this pamphlet for many years and the Administration was not aware of the contents. The school district’s DIRECTOR OF ELEMENTARY EDUCATION had no idea the information was going out to students. SHE HAD NO IDEA!
California Standardized Test Sample Questions:
Q: Sky needed to save up for the portion of an adadicktomy that Obamacare will not cover. If the surgery costs $78,000 and Obamacare will only cover 85 percent of the costs and the annual percentage rate charged by evil bankers is 19 percent how much does Sky need to contribute toward the surgery?
Q: If a Todd/Tina transexual leaves San Francisco at 9:00 AM on mass transportation at an average speed of 35 miles per hour to attend to a Gay Pride parade 500 miles away. Chris is also traveling to the parade, but has decided to travel in his electric Chevy Volt. If Chris is starting from the same location and the Volt can only travel 120 miles per charge before requiring a 24 hour recharge how many hours does Chris have to leave before Todd/Tina in order to arrive at the parade at the same time.
Fun With Dick and Jane will never be the same.