As the Republican presidential race heats up (a little) it has become interesting to see how the candidates fates slide up and down. There seems to be no doubt that Mitt Romney is the choice of RINOs, the left, and the main stream media. I agree with them that Romney will be a great candidate…for Obama to beat. We had the ascension of Bachman only to see her blow a tire with her position that the Gardasil somehow causes mental retardation (I know she thought she walked back the comment, but she kept repeating it. The media is off the hook and no longer have to dedicate resources to destroy her.
Now we have Herman Cain fresh off of his win at the Florida straw poll. Cain presents a bit of a problem for the media since he is, as Rush Limbaugh calls him, authentically black meaning his can trace his roots to American slavery. There has to be care in criticisms of Cain lest they go too far trying to paint him as an “oreo” and risk the anger of the black community. I even saw an interview with a black woman who used the “oreo” term to describe Mr. Cain. It is still early in the race and he could sink his own ship like Bachman, but so far he is creating a buzz and excitement in conservative circles that Perry and Romney can only dream of.
One of the foundations of his campaign is his 999 Plan;
- Business Flat Tax – 9% (Gross income less all investments, all purchases from other businesses and all dividends paid to shareholders and empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for payroll employed in the zone.)
- Individual Flat Tax – 9%. (Gross income less charitable deductions and empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for those living and/or working in the zone.)
- •National Sales Tax – 9%. (This gets the Fair Tax off the sidelines and into the game)
Herman Cain combines a compelling personal story, a successful career outside of politics, a refreshing disregard for political correctness, a strong message, a strong presence, an infectious message, and he is neither Mitt Romney nor Rick Perry. A writer for the Washington Examiner put together his favorite Herman Cain quotes:
- “Stupid people are ruining America!” – Cain encouraging supporters to stay informed on the issues.
- “If Obamacare had been fully implemented when I caught cancer, I’d be dead.” – Cain on Obama’s health care legislation.
- “Well, first of all, I doubt if Morgan Freeman, with all due respect, who is a great actor, has ever been to a Tea Party.” – Cain responding to Morgan Freeman’s comments about Tea Party members being racist.
- “I’m listening to all this bull***t that he’s talking about, ‘fairness’ and ‘balanced approach’ to get this economy going.” – Cain on President Obama’s rhetoric on class warfare.
- “It will be a twenty foot wall, barbed wire, electrified on the top, and on this side of the fence, I’ll have that moat that President Obama talked about. And I would put those alligators in that moat!” – Cain on his illegal immigration plan.
- “America has got to learn to take a joke.” – Cain, when asked about his alligator moat to stop immigration.
- “They called me racist too, because I disagreed with a President who happened to be black.” – Cain on racism.
Mr. Cain is making this race interesting and I’m loving it!